Hello to all my beautiful readers, I hope the start of your new year has been good.
Most of us when the new year roles around we set New Years resolutions. But honestly how often do we keep them?
We say to ourselves “New year, new you” right?
I know I for one haven’t always been great at keeping them. If your like me you start fired up and then at some point it fizzles out. In the morning you wake up and have a healthy smoothie by night time you want chocolate, cookies, or brownies LOL.
Me in the morning drinking my smoothie…..
Me in the evening…..
Come on you’ve been there maybe not the same foods, I love chocolate. My husband however it’s chips and Party Dip EVERY SINGLE NIGHT…..and he always leaves the stinking chip bag on the counter, UGH! (Insert eye roll) I think I found my hunky mans New Years resolution….Put the chip bag up every night, LOL!
The number 1 resolution is and you probably guessed it, it’s eat healthier, lose weight but exercise and save money are right there with getting healthier. While those things are all great I’d like to offer up a different New Years resolution.
This year let’s also focus on leaving people better than when you found them. That can literally change your world and someone else’s.
I’ve known people in my life who only think “How can you serve me?” They only think of themselves and to heck with others. “You need to do for me.” It seems like as soon as they wake up “THEY” are on their mind and what they can get people to do for them.
I’m sure you know a few. I like to call these kind of people drainers. Because that’s just what they do, they drain the life out of you. They are not adding value to you at all just draining you and others around them.
I often wonder “Do you think everything revolves around you?” Have you once considered helping someone else or thinking of others instead of focusing on yourself or only your needs? There is a whole world around us who have needs and needs that you or I could actually meet.
So I think the more important question is “How can you serve someone else?”
How can I make your life better?
How can I lift you up, encourage you?
How can I leave you better than when I met you?
It’s been my experience that when I get the focus off myself or my problems and look to help someone else my life seems better. My circumstances may not have changed but the way I look at them does when I get myself off my mind.
If your struggling in your marriage then pray about it, trust God that He has it and find someone else around you going through the same thing, you won’t have to look far I can promise you that. Pray for them and their marriage. Encourage them. You are planting seeds for a harvest in your own life. This goes for any problem you have, there is ALWAYS someone who has it worse than you or I.
Get your mind off yourself and your problems and help someone. Bless someone in any way you can and encourage them. Leave them better than when you found them. You may be the only Jesus they see.
Just some little things that make a difference in someone else’s life:
- When your eating out or checking out some where just glance at the persons name tag and call them by name. I can’t tell you what a difference this truly makes to people. I’ve literally had people just be totally stunned that I called them by name. They’ve even said “No one ever does that! You’ve made my day!” Everyone wants to be noticed.
2. SMILE at people. You can brighten someone’s day by just a smile. To quote one of my favorite movies Elf “I just like smiling, smiling’s my favorite.
3. Say THANK YOU. Let someone know how much you appreciate them or appreciate what they did. Send them a handwritten note through snail mail. I don’t think we do this enough. I know this is an area I need to work on. I have a friend, Jo Ellen who blesses me so much and others around her. She prays for me and sends me encouraging cards with things she knows I like or might need on them and it just makes me feel so good and brightens my day. She’s a angel and she gets it!
I have another friend Patti, she’s my son in laws Mom who I also call a dear friend. I’m pretty sure she’s one of the most thoughtful people on the planet. She, like my other friend they pay attention to what others say or like and they tuck it away and then they knocks your socks off when you least expect it.
We should pay more attention to what others say and need and when it’s within our power encourage and bless them. The world would seriously be such a better place.
4. Bake some cookies or brownies and take them to a friend or neighbor. That doesn’t cost much of your time or money and you’ve brightened someone’s day.
5. Compliment people. If you see a lady and you like her hair or their outfit, then tell them. Say the words out of your mouth. You never know they may not have anyone say anything nice to them but that one compliment simply brightens their day. I try to do this often, even if I just breezing by a stranger I’ll say “Wow you look beautiful today!” Or “I love your outfit!” I love to see people’s face light up when I do this.
6. Open the door for someone instead of rushing in before them.
7. Pray for people regularly, especially when you know they are having a difficult time.
8. We all don’t like the same things but in relationships it’s about compromising and communicating with one another. I don’t always like my husbands tv shows but I watch them because I want to be with him. Going to the shooting range isn’t my favorite but I have grown to enjoy it more and it’s something I do because I love my hunky man and I want to be with him and have something in common. He nicknamed me “Deadeye” LOL cause I always get my target. He was so proud he saved one of my shooting targets and it’s above our garage door so you see it when you come in. I just and tell him you better behave yourself or I’ll take you out LOL.
9. One of my personal favorites is “Paying it Forward.” I love to pay for someone behind me in the drive through and as I drive away I pray for them. You’ve just blessed someone who can’t thank you or do anything back to you. Nothing better than that to me. Same thing when eating out if I feel like I’m supposed to pay for someone’s meal, I want to do it secretly. It’s just fun to be a blessing!
10. When your driving, let someone in and don’t give them the finger if they don’t take off when the light turns green, LOL. This is just a funny one but seriously so many people get cra cra on the road.
These are just a few simple things you can try for a New Years resolution or just changing the world around you but there are so many more.
Choosing to do something that’s meaningful and something that you can succeed at and even get better at, it truly will change your life for the better along with someone else’s.
Many blessings my friend! Go out and change your world for the better.
Leave those you find better than when you found them.