So funny story, I made this last night and it was actually delish despite my minor snafu. Instead of using heavy whipping cream I accidentally used my Vanilla Almond milk creamer🙈 But actually it was pretty good. I thought it was a nice change to a gluten free, low carb fall dish🤷🏼♀️🤦🏼♀️ With brussel sprouts being a little bitter the sweetness was a nice change. I would make it again but use less of the Vanilla Almond milk.
My little “mix up” reminded me of a time right after Sean and I got married almost 28 years ago. I thought I’d be super domestic and make homemade chili. You know the kind with dry beans. Didn’t know you were supposed to soak the beans overnight lol.
Morning comes, taking are of our first born, cleaning the house and started throwing everything in a crockpot for dinner. I even made yummy homemade bread in my iron skillet. Yep I was pretty darn proud of myself.
My step dad gets there and we sit down to eat, pouring chili in every bodies bowl and then it happens….the first bite of a really hard bean lol 😂
Oh my goodness I was so horrified! I had worked so hard and my chili was a complete disaster. Of course everyone was sweet about it but I felt awful and it quickly turned into a pizza night.
That was my first experience making sure you read the recipe throughly and check your ingredients.
• 2 small bags of brussel sprouts-halved or whole
• 8 oz. bacon, cooked and crumbled
• 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
• 3/4 cup heavy cream
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (Or butter)
• 1 egg
• 1/2 cup of blue cheese dressing
• 2 additional set aside Tbsp butter
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• Salt and pepper, to tast
• Parmesan cheese (optional)
• Preheat oven to 400º F.
• Stir brussel sprouts in olive oil/butter and season generously with salt and pepper. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes.
• In a separate bowl, combine egg, heavy cream, blue cheese dressing, 2 Tbsp butter, garlic powder, onion powder and then add in cheese.
• Remove brussel sprouts from oven and add 1/2 bacon to the dish. Pour cheese mixture over the top and stir everything together, then top with a little shredded cheese and remaining bacon.
• Reduce oven temperature to 350º, bake for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is set. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
I’d love to hear some of your cooking mixups, good or bad. Let the sharing begin….Have a rocking day!